Sunday, January 20, 2013

The No 'Poo Movement!

It's not what you're thinking! It's no 'poo as in shampoo! I saw it on Pinterest the other day and got really interested! So, I was looking it up and it's where you stop using shampoo completely.. sounds gross and dirty but, it's really not! You see, shampoo strips your hair from its natural oils and causes it to produce even more. So if you use shampoo everyday your hair is most likely over producing a lot of natural oils.

Instead of shampoo you could use 1tbsp of baking soda mixed into 1 cup of water and store it in a squeeze bottle. I heard that that the mixture is supposed to feel slippery in your hands.

And then for a conditioner you can use 2tbsp of either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar mixed into 1 cup of water and store it in a spray bottle.

When you're in the shower first, get your hair wet and then pour the baking soda mixture onto your scalp and massage it in well. Let it sit for a minute and then completely rinse it out. When you're done with that spray the vinegar mixture on the rest of your hair focusing on the ends. Rinse out your hair very well. Don't worry about smelling like vinegar...the smell goes away when your hair dries. :)

Now I started this on Wednesday and did it again yesterday. The first time it worked really well! My hair was very soft but, on the third day it was starting to get greasy again so I washed it that night. In the morning it was very dry and greasy/waxy on some parts of my hair..it did not feel good so today I rinsed it out with water and a tiny bit of the baking soda mixture and it now feels much better.

I've read many peoples stories about their experiences of being no-pooers and almost all said that there is this adjustment period where your hair gets really bad before it gets better. I hope it's not that bad because of school and stuff but, if it is I'll be wearing a lot of ponytails ;) 

Reasons to Start
- less oily hair
- it becomes more manageable
- curls become more defined (if you have curls)
- and many more that I can't think of at the moment
There are so many uses for baking soda! I keep this little jar in my bathroom and use it when I brush my teeth, which I'm pretty sure are getting whiter!

Are you a no-pooer? Does it work well for you? Comment below and tell me what you think about it! 
I'll definitely be doing updates about this! I'll also have a nail post up hopefully by tomorrow!

~Bye Guys!~

1 comment: